Welcome to the Blackout Audio Techno Forums :: Underground Network.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Freak

for a year or so now i've been thinking of getting the custom made ear plugs. but from what i read you need perfect ears to start with.

i suffer from major wax build ups etc so i dont think i'll be medically fit to have my ears moulded :cry:

Junior Freak

[quote="AcidBastard"]I just feel bad for the people who get all doped out on E, and then stick their head in the speaker, or sit right NEXT to the speaker... That is the worse thing you can do, tis a shame.

[/wicquote]

Yeah i reckon just about everyone would have some kind of funny story relating to people gett'n fuked up n gettin too close to the speakers.

I remember this one party, this dude was like up to the speaker cone doin this ritual type shit like it was some kind of god. U know the party's on when shit like that starts happenin!

BOA Lifetime Member

I am unfortunate to have hearing problems in my left side after a blow from some cunt outside a club. Perforated it. It's like having a lowpass filter on the left side cutting off the very highs. It gave me tinnitus too. Its a ****ing nightmare but like everything you learn to deal with it and work around it. Its always worth finding the clubs sweet spot where its not too loud and everything sounds nice. Ide recommend wearing earplugs anytime, nothing wrong with that. I sometimes wear one the ****ed side because its really sensitive to certain frequencies (rock and roll and speed garage frequencies esp :lol:).

Junior Freak

My friend Greg Sandler was djing one night and felt dizzy after playing. Went back to his hotel, fell asleep, woke up the next morning with blood coming out of his ear and years later still suffers from hearing loss. though he regained some but i don't think hes more then 50% in that ear.

Yikes!

I want to get some of thoose noise reduction fitted ear pieces. Expensive but seem worth it.

Junior Freak

i`ll be very short; sometimes, YES!
    info:www.carlmax.com :-: 4 funwww.myspace.com/carl_max
    PRESTIGE RECORDINGS

Prince Of Warthogs

i got tinnitus now
    it started about a year ago.
    i invested in some custom made plugs which were great.
    but i lost one. and they cost a fortune.
    soi bought some cheaper ones from elacin in germany
    they aren't quite as accurate but they are stil designed for music listening
    and they work.
    but i have trouble playing wiht them in.
    i always have them with me but i don't always wear them.
    i used to play drums from when i was 14 yeasr old
    so i guess my ears are pretty ****ed
    however this weekendd i did wear my plugs and shall be doing so from, now on. i just can't lose the rest of my hearing.
    there are apparently some methods for rducing tinnitus
    but i've yet tp find out what they are.

just about everyone i know who has a serious career in djing has had problems with their ears
    maybe we can for some kind of deaf/techno appreciation society when we reach our 60's ( assuming we get that far )
    actually that really isn't funny.
    wear ear plugs . look like a prat and be proud . and cough up for the good ones too they're worth it and the foam ones apparently are useless according to the ear doctor i saw.

don't get tinnitus like me. it rings everyday from morning to night
    both ears although my actual hearing aside from that is o.k.
    they are 2 separate things tinnitus and deafness.
    but man tiunnitus is annoying!!!!!!
    silence is now a thing of the past.
    ambient music is accompanied by a very loud whine (about 1k)
    sometimes listening to music can be uncomfortable.

it's definately earplugs for me from now on.
    love your mum

Junior Freak

so, do u actually wear em under ur headphones while ur mixing?

And can someone please point me towards where i can get a decent pair?
    How much will it cost for a decent pair?
    I think it is such a wise investment.

Thanx alot

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by herman
    i have been wearing earplugs (er-15's) for about 3 years now and after an incident where i lost them last year and had to do a gig without them i can safely say i wouldn't play without them now , i really can't understand how anyone who plays or goes to a club a lot can do without them now.
    i think i will be geeting a set of these within the next two weeks. Where can i get them herman. And whats the procedure, how do you get them fitted- do it yourself or go somewhere for it to be done.?
    GREYGROUND

Ultimate Freak

Default Re: should you wear earplugs when u go out?

Quote Originally Posted by sash
    I suppose the last thing an aspiring techno producer would want would b to b half deaf. Is this a stupid question. Will i look like a dork?
    Looks only matters in swingers' clubs.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by davethedrummer
    i got tinnitus now
    it started about a year ago.
    i invested in some custom made plugs which were great.
    but i lost one. and they cost a fortune.
    soi bought some cheaper ones from elacin in germany
    they aren't quite as accurate but they are stil designed for music listening
    and they work.
    but i have trouble playing wiht them in.
    i always have them with me but i don't always wear them.
    i used to play drums from when i was 14 yeasr old
    so i guess my ears are pretty ****
    however this weekendd i did wear my plugs and shall be doing so from, now on. i just can't lose the rest of my hearing.

just about everyone i know who has a serious career in djing has had problems with their ears
    maybe we can for some kind of deaf/techno appreciation society when we reach our 60's ( assuming we get that far )
    actually that really isn't funny.
    wear ear plugs . look like a prat and be proud . and cough up for the good ones too they're worth it and the foam ones apparently are useless according to the ear doctor i saw.

it's definately earplugs for me from now on.
    I have problems with my left ear, sometimes I wear an ear plug when in the studio because its really sensitive to certain harmonics. Pianos, squelchy synths etc.

It does my head in tho because it’s a lot harder to understand whats going on in the mixdown so I usually take it out after about 2 seconds. I don’t even monitor at loud levels, infact I have it at about the same level as my mum has the TV . If I do within about 10 mins of having it turned up it feels like someone’s put a lowpass on it.

How do you find it in the studio, do monitor at a low level or just go for it?

I don’t have a pair of custom made ear plugs, I do have some that are supposed to just turn down everything instead of muffling certain frequencies tho

Apparently theres no cure for tinnitus, however there is a lot of ways of distracting yourself away from it. Its there 24/7 for me. It gets louder if I have the sound up. You could try having a fan near bed at night. If you focus on the sound of the fan it takes your attention away from the BIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR sound

Depressing

Worst thing is that someone has done this to me, sometimes when I cant sleep at night I think about murdering the skumbag

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Divide
    I think about murdering the skumbag
    Well maybe not, does make me mad tho

The Demon Beast

That sucks.
    Wetworks
    Compound, Punish Blue, Mastertraxx

Supreme Freak

Quote Originally Posted by ampassasinbirmingham
    Quote Originally Posted by herman
    i have been wearing earplugs (er-15's) for about 3 years now and after an incident where i lost them last year and had to do a gig without them i can safely say i wouldn't play without them now , i really can't understand how anyone who plays or goes to a club a lot can do without them now.
    i think i will be geeting a set of these within the next two weeks. Where can i get them herman. And whats the procedure, how do you get them fitted- do it yourself or go somewhere for it to be done.?
    http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/location.php if you follow that link you should find a dealer near to you, you have to go in and have moulds made of your inner ear which is basically like have blue tac injected into them , then they send off the moulds for the plugs to be made will probably cost around the £165 mark and takes about a week to have made. might sound expensive but heed the warnings from others on the board if you do keep abusing your ears you will end up with tinnutus or worse.

BOA Lifetime Member

never realised how easily hearing probs can develop. Gonna have to sort out these plugs @ some point

BOA Lifetime Member

I've learnt the hard way about excessive noise to your hearing. My ears have had a hammering from sound systems for over a decade, my girlfriend nagging and put that next to the unbelievable noise you get from watching drag racing for over 20 years and you get tinitus and a damaged ear. I've got plugs sorted out and should be here soon. It's just a bitch they are so expensive but put that next to the cost of losing your hearing and it's not that bad.

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stella Boy
    It's just a bitch they are so expensive but put that next to the cost of losing your hearing and it's not that bad.
    Thats a really good point!

Supreme Freak

I concer about your tinnitus too. Over time though you manage it, and you actually get so used to the frequencies being produced by your ear that you ignore them.

During the first six months when it became apparent the I had problems I suffered from mild anxiety...quite frustrating. I'd clinch my jaw which would produce a high pitched squeel to try to confirm whether the tinnitus was louder/softer etc, so much so that I damaged my right joint which now clicks every time I open my mouth. Went to visit a dentist to see whether my wisdoms were a problems, not so.

I can't tell whether it's raining outside without a visual these days, the list goes on. However under testing conditions, the audiologist has given my ears a clean bill of health.

I had read that some clown in the USA got severe tinnitus due to sorting coke for years and years, hmmmm...

Ultimate Freak

i got tinnitus now
    i have these clip-on magnetic ear rings that are supposed to reduce tinnitus. they are cheap (otherwise i wouldnt have been able to afford them) but i cant say that they work as i lost mine w/in weeks of buying them

sadly its not 'scientifically' proven to work even though research and statistics have proven otherwise

from memory, i think you only need to wear them a few hours a day as well

pm me if your interested and i'll have a look to see what i can find

Ultimate Freak

Quote Originally Posted by killarava2day
    During the first six months when it became apparent the I had problems I suffered from mild anxiety...quite frustrating. I'd clinch my jaw which would produce a high pitched squeel to try to confirm whether the tinnitus was louder/softer etc, so much so that I damaged my right joint which now clicks every time I open my mouth. Went to visit a dentist to see whether my wisdoms were a problems, not so.
    i shouldnt laugh but... :lol:

BOA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MangaFish
    i suffer from major wax build ups etc so i dont think i'll be medically fit to have my ears moulded :cry:
    Leave the wax in, it would make a wickid sound insulator. Seriously, it holds your ear drums down and they will be less likely to get damaged.

Have them waxed when you become a pensioner, it will be like been reborn :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast